Monday, October 7, 2013

memories.....

Yes, this is a plate of biscuits and gravy......brings back memories of eating at my paternal grandparents, or for that matter my maternal grandparents as well...Eating at my grandparents was always a fun filled time...during holidays or when we was having a family get together....which sad to say don`t happen anymore....Both sets of my grandparents have passed on....I miss those dinners and breakfasts...... the food , the joking around the way families used to do, at least my family did.

I remember my grandmothers baking homemade biscuits without a recipe of any kind....I once asked for the recipe and she said she really don't have one.....since she has been gone I have come across a recipe that almost tastes as good  as hers was. Everyone usually helped out in the kitchen, at least the women and grandma would be in there as well.....no body made biscuits like her.....Before she went in the nursing home and she still knew who I was ( my paternal grandmother had Alzheimer's), I asked for one of her baking pans...I am glad I asked when I did...or I wouldn`t have gotten one( paternal Grandma)....I made the biscuits in the photo above from the recipe I found similar to hers and in her pan . When the dinner was ready everyone gathered around the table and someone said grace over the meal and prayed for those that were in attendance and those that wasn`t able to make it.....then everyone grab a plate and made their way around the table of food...needless to say you got what you wanted the first time around or the wasn`t any left.....They was usually out the biscuits and the gravy as well as the potatoes ,whether it be mashed or fried.
It was the same way around the maternal grandmother`s house......I have some of her knick knacks, I had to get them at auction....bidding on them against other family and antique dealers.....But I do have a few to pass on to my girls....I lost her to due Diabetes and heart problems...
I so miss my grandparents....

No comments:

Post a Comment