Thursday, April 10, 2014

a little gardening, chickens....



Yesterday, picked me a couple more grape vines, when we after we stopped by Bass Pro...hubby and the youngest just needed a owl locator to use when they go out in the woods this Saturday and try to get a turkey during youth season....one is a concord grape and the other is a red grape....
The other grape vine I planted the frost has got alittle...I scrape alittle of the compost back and it has a little nub getting ready to come up....I have been covering everything up for the most part and keeping an eye on the forecasted temps at night ...At least the new roses I have planted and the grape vine and the hosta and day lilies......I think I might have lost one of the Hosta plants but not for sure....


Here is the square foot garden bed. just onions and lettuce and radishes in here....of course since my egg layers are free-ranged...they did scratch a little in the dirt ...note the chicken wire....the radishes aren`t exactly where I planted them at.....

                               
                                                          tulips getting ready to bloom



Frost got one of the roses I planted as well, the above picture, but as you can see it has some nubs on it....so it didn`t totally wipe it out....both of these roses are the two climbing variety I planted this year.


As you can see I finally got a kitchen sink in the garden, have been looking for one...wanted one for free , but found one at the local recycling place when my hubby took some old frigs off and yes, I did have to pay for it...but it came out of the money from the frigs....now I know what I want to plant in there , just need to find it....don`t really know  what it is called...irises are gonna be planted around it except in front....I am thinking some type of ground cover....maybe my creeping thyme , in which has expanded a great deal.....


               Where else to do put a sink in the garden ,...but by the toilet of course......
              Thinking about expanding the garden some more, but probably not this year.
              back behind the toilet to the tree at least a row of blackberry briars.


   The bed I have been working on getting filled...I have laid some feed sacks down , then put a compost on top of that and of course dirt......the front two little boxes in the bed are planted with potatoes...I am tring something I seen on pinterest...where you keep putting a square of wood on top and more dirt to how high you want the planted to be...then when the potatoes are ready to dig up ...just take the squares off....or rather boards off....we will se how this works....the last time I planted potatoes ...it didn't work...so hopefully this will...I have red and white potatoes planted...
                            
                                                  so on to other things going on here

                                           
                                      here is 3 little chicks I have held back...they are partridge bantam
                                                                               cochins

                                                        What to you do with extra boards?...........
                  

Build chicken pens , of course....The top pen is build mainly of scrap wood that my hubby picked up the other day...the smaller pieces went in the fire to keep us warm...that pen only cost was the screws...it houses my turkins....the bottom picture has trio of cochins....two of them are Columbian and the other is a birchen colored hen...that pen has two 2x 4 I had gotten and a pallet I took apart....I know the building ain`t nothing fancy and I don't say I am good at building, but I think it looks good...
Well enough for now...everyone have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment