Tuesday, April 29, 2014

New chickens....cochins of course....

I rehome two of my roosters...Attitude and another one I have not named.

 
the last picture I have token of these two...when I took Attitude to his new owner, he bit me...I told them that I understood if they didn't want him...needless to say if he came back home he would have met the freezer.


I went to a local swap meet and looking for a barred cochin rooster...the one that I have is not fertile as of yet with his eggs from that pen so, thought I would get another one to hopefully start a buff barred project...only one of the buff hens are laying though...the other two have not yet started laying, their combs are red...my oldest has named the new barred roo Bakbak....and the youngest named the little white hen Sweetheart...she picked her and she just started talking to her...I really don't like the comb on Bakbak...but got this pair since I wanted the white hen....the person I got them off of had another barred roo with a birchen hen...would switch the roos out so I got this one.....she laid me a egg yesterday...I put in the bator to see if is fertile....hopefully this is the roo she has been running with...I forgot to ask that ...they are both fairly young...


Here are two different views from the Chocolate cochin rooster I picked up...initially went back to the person that had this roo to look at a buff roo again and then I saw him.....and thought I needed him....so I asked how they got this color and they said they didn't know I might try and breed him to some white hens to keep getting the color.....I have investigated it further and think I need black hens to put him with to keep this color...so am looking for more black hens...I have one and may put my one birchen colored hen in with him after he is out of quarantine .So will see what he produces from there....

I just had to share my new cochins...also picked up two Buff cochins chicks as well...hope they both are hens, but it would be ok if one is a hen and the other is a roo...


                                      I have this little hen with Bert, My Columbian rooster
                                                         she is not laying yet


                                  Here are my splash/Blue cochin chicks I have held back


These little chicks are out of my Columbian pen, notice the three black ones, I do believe they are out of the birchen colored hen that is in there....


These are some of the egg layers I held back...I got a couple of dozen eggs from a friend of mine and kept these baby chicks back from them....a couple of them are Easter Eggers...My youngest has a Easter Egger hen and wanted me to keep these back for her....she also has a couple little banties and I got them in with a frizzle roo...got a egg from them yesterday and put it in the bator as well...

my prayers go out to all of those that are dealing with the wind damage or tornados that have happened in the last couple of days and is still happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment