Thursday, October 14, 2010

history ponders......

The other day I was helping my husband mow the cemetary and I was thinking about the different people buried there , especialty the old graves. What they would think of the world today in which we lived. What stories they would tell of the days in which they lived. Are they any relatives that they have that remember them from days that have gone by.
We have mowed the cemetary for at least 2-3 years now. During memorial day ,the older graves do not have flowers on them. I know some of the family that is buried there ,but not all.

This remembering of history that has gone by ,got to me thinking of how I got started in family research. I was putting flowers on the grave where my paternal Grandfather is buried at Oak Grove in the old town of Owens, which is between Hartville and Norwood, Missouri and my grandmother told me I was related to all of those people, who were buried there. My relatives on my father`s side founded the little town of Owens, all is left is the sign stating where the town once was and the old store building , in which a relative owned and ran for many years.

I just wonder what they would have thought of this economy, of our president of United States,
of the techonology, One person can talk to another person by just using the computer or using the telephone, what they would have thought about the world wide web ,we call the internet, the cost of our food and clothing.

1 comment:

  1. Earlier today I was unloading groceries and my mind was wandering her and there.. I thought O fmy Great Grandmother who passed away a little over 10 yrs ago at 97yrs old. How she had seen it go from the time of horses being main transportation to being able to fly long distance in short amounts of time. How when some one moved across the country then you may not ever see them again and only recieve letters. Now we can talk to people in other countries in real time no delays.. No letters to write...
    I have been thru Owens.. I love those little road signs.. My mom was raised in one of those little towns that are no more than a sign now.. It had a little store, a church(that my grt grandpa donated land for) and a one room school house. It is about 5 miles from Lebanon..

    ReplyDelete