Saturday, June 11, 2011

Jelly making again...

I am making fresh batches of jelly again for the local fair. Today I made red raspberry jelly, I made a total of 3 pints. I kinda of cheated in that I didn`t pick these red beauties as I would not know where to find some red raspberries around here, no-one has advertised that they have any , ( note to self , might be good idea to plant some). The local market had some on sale, and hence I bought some just to make the jelly.
They had blackberries as well on sale, but I still have some in the freezer from last year , so I am planning on making a fresh batch of blackberry jelly as well. I might throw in a few dewberries though, as they are beginning to ripen , which means the wild blackberries will be soon be ripen and that means picking blackberries and selling them again, along with some jelly. I soo love to pick wild blackberries....the thorns and the chiggers are sooo fun to deal with. My tame blackberries are just now blooming and forming blackberries on them. I only have about 5 plants of them. The tame ones might be a little bigger , but the wild ones win out in taste to me.

I plan on making a few more varieties as well to enter into the fair. I wish they had an other category , as I would love to enter my root beer jelly, it is a winner at least for my youngest , who won`t eat any other jelly on her pb and j sandwich. i need to see how many more jars I have left.

I am being entertained by her at her this time , playing big sis`s guitar, at least playing with it, lolol. Ok , she is not really playing it like a guitar , but like a drum, lol. It is so nice to be entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment