Thursday, March 17, 2011

garden is started.....ducks,chickens

The past few days, it has been beauitful outside, alittle windy at times ,but the weather has been superb. Today after picking up both girls from school, I started the garden. I have always been told that things that grow under ground, like onions, radishes, potatoes are to planted on or around St Patty`s day. So I planted four different types of radishes, some onion sets ( still have more of them to plant), turnips and some cabbage plants. I know cabbage grows above ground, but I wanted to include this now as I planted one cabbage plant in the middle and four rows of radishes out to each corner of the raised bed and am planning on getting me some pansies to plant in the bed as well. The radishes usually don`t do that well for me, but hey I keep trying them...I so love radishes. I have one whole bed of onions sets, will have to add another bed of them, as I kinda got more then I need and I will probably be giving some to my mom as well.
I planted a cabbage plant last year that the cabbage worm got, hopefully this year will be different. This will be the first year with turnips, so I will see how that goes.
I think I will have to add another bed or two in order to get some tomato plants as well., of course I want to plant some peppers and corn. I don`t think I will put the corn in a raised bed this year. I put corn in one last year and it didn`t do that good for me, so I am gonna try something different this year.

I need to get the incubators up and going as well, but I just can`t get motivated this year, maybe it`s because the hens are in full swing as of yet. The muscovies have not started laying at least not that I am aware of , I have not found any nest and I have been looking and watching them alittle. The cayuga ducks have not laid as of yet either. On the chicken side of things, the welsummers have not laid yet, the silkies( one pair) I get an egg every other day, some of the cochins are laying as well, but not all. A few of these hens are a few years old, so I do need to hatch a few of these out and keep and not rehome them either that or try and get some more hens in the colors I am looking for; red, buff,golden lace,birchen ....oh heck I like all the colors of cochins. I sooo love the cochin breed. I do have one standard cochin ,black in color with no rooster as of yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment