Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas memories...traditions...

I was stumped for awhile on what to blog about...then I thought why not blog about Christmas since it is Saturday. So here it goes.
The traditions of our family are always having family, a big bowl of nuts and another bowl of apple and oranges and fun times. Their has always been bowl of nuts, sometimes not a big bowl, but none the less nuts and of course apples and oranges. I remember sitting in front of the tv and eating peanuts till they about made me sick....ooh how we love peanuts, salty goodness. Of course my dad would always get as many dinners as possible in. We would have a dinner with mom and dad, where if you didn`t get the first time around the table forget you wasn`t getting a second helping of what ever it was, mine was usually mashed potatoes and gravy, mmmm good. Then we would get to mom`s side of the family dinner... not always enough tators for me...but everyone ate good....My mom would then fix dinner for just us and plenty of mashed potatoes. We would always have chocolate covered cherries, at least one box of them and ribbon candy.
The tree was always put up the week of Christmas. The presents were always put under the tree before Christmas , once they were wrapped of course.
I now , as parent put the Christmas presents under the tree on Christmas eve after the girls have gone to bed, their is still nuts and apples and oranges in the house. We don`t go to as many dinners as when I was a kid. My dad has since passed as well as all my grandparent except for one, but she is not able to cook anymore as she has alzheimers...I think a disease that robs you of your family. Candy is still in the house and memories are still there of the past of my growing up. I am making new memories with my children now. Every Christmas eve my hubby and the girls make cookies to put out for Santa along with a glass of milk, who the cats usually get. The oldest one don`t believe anymore but the gifts don`t go under the tree till the go to bed.....as they like to snoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment