Monday, January 24, 2011

gearing up for spring.. ..other ramblings

Yes , I finally bit the bullet and couldn`t stand it anymore looking at all the seed packets. I got some , just a few. I am also trying to think what I want to grow in the garden this year as well. of course, they will be green onions...( Oh , how I love green onions), tomatoes, yellow squash and zucchini ( they did good last year, alot). I am planning on trying to grow two different types of pumpkins , of course jalepenos and radishes ( didn`t do great last year), and turnips and corn ( didn`t do well either). I have planned on putting the corn and radishes in a different spot, hopefully I will have better luck this year.
The seeds I have so far are as follow: Radish-Early Scarlet Globe,French Breakfast,Sparkler White top , I am gonna look for some white ones too.: Turnip - Purple top white globe; Garden beans ( green beans) Contender( bush); Jalapeno M; dark grren zucchini; early Prolific Straightneck squash ; Cantalope ( daughter choice); Jack O`lantern pumpkin and Small sugar Pumpkin. It looks like I am gonna be busy planting
I tried working in the beds today, but it is just too muddy still yet. I did clean out another two chicken pens today and put the manure in the one of the beds. I think I am gonna try and get another two beds up and running for spring somehow. I might have to use rocks to go around the beds for now, in which their is plenty of here on the farm.

I have started to research goats and their care and am thinking about getting a couple, don`t know how that will work out this year though. Our fence is just barbed wire for the most part . I think baby goats are so cute and enjoy looking at the picture over at granny best and at tonia`s and others.
I am still working on my afghan , I think it will be queen size and have not done any other blocks as of yet, but have done other rows on it and let me tell you it is getting heavy just turning for the next row. I have also made a couple of grape doilies that I plan on trying to sell this spring when all the swap meets start happening in this area, and farmers market which is in March. I am so looking forward to them and hatching baby chicks and baby ducks.

I have been toying with the idea of getting rid of my cayuga`s, but have not let go as of yet. I would like to keep the hen that lays the black egg, yes a black egg it is what the cayuga`s breed is known for besides ,the beautiful color of black and when the sun hits it shades of green and purple surface, but still not for sure on the idea. i know I do have extra drake, in which he is not pure cayuga, I think maybe alittle kaki cambell or mallard not for sure. The main drake is not pure as well, he has a look of being mixed with kaki campbell or mallard as well. I am not planning on getting rid of my muscovey , I so love watching them talk and fly, even though when they start laying it is like Easter egg hunting, lololol.
I guess that is enough rambling on , I will go for now.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Cayugas are beautiful!! Them and Muscovies are ducks I want.. I forgot they laid black eggs..
    On the goats and fence I have Barbed wire and Electric combined on my main pasture and 3 strands of electric on the back pasture.. As long as your charger packs a decent punch and you train your goats to it electric fence works well.
    If you ever need to visit a goat farm I dont think we are that far from you!! Just give me a holler!

    ReplyDelete