Saturday, April 3, 2010

Letters To God

I am planning to see the movie Letters To God. I found the book at a local store and got it and am in the process of reading it. I have had to put it down from time to time because some parts bring memories of when my youngest daughter was daignosed with Leukemia.This is a excellent book and I am sure the movie will be as well. It is a movie of hope.I have strong need to blog about my youngest daughter and how we found out about the Leukemia.
For about 6 months she would have a temp every two weeks , each time I would take her to the doctor .The doctors would say it was kidney infection ,even if nothing grew in the lab, it was still kidney infection. She even did a test to see if her bladder was emptying out all the way. That test was like a x-ray,it was where they put a foley in her and filled her bladder , then empty it while watching it empty. Which this determine she wasn`t emptying her bladder out completely ,but she was still having the temps, every couple of weeks and she also starting limping.. I finally took her to the doctor and said I understand if it`s kidney infection,but can we check and see if there wasn`t something else is going on, which on that occasion they had stated she had the flu,all she had was a temp and limping. Of course they did do some lab tests and of course living in a small town, the labs wouldn`t be back that day.So we went home the youngest was acting just fine and still limping.
That same night she had a nose bleed that lasted an hour, the blood was just pouring out her nose.The whole time the oldest was asking if her sister was gonna to die.We called the first responders and they came over and suggested we take her on in to springfield to find out what was going on. Of course we did get the nose bleed to stop and took her on to the ER.Where the doctor asked if we wanted them to run their own labs or wait till the ones they run earlier that day came back, I told them I want them to go ahead and do some labs I wanted to know.So They did labs and came back in and told me and my mom that we needed to go on to st louis, my husband was at home waiting and watching the oldest daughter.The doctor stated that 70 percent chance she had leukemia, several thought went thru my head, Am I gonna lose another child ,me and my husband had already lost a son.The doctor wouldn`t let us leave the hospital and suggested they airflight her to st louis by herself, instead we was ambulanced to st louis the next morning.It was confirmed that she had Leukemia shortly after we got there.
While we were spending the night at the hospital waiting for the ambulance to take us to st louis, My mom told me she was had leukemia in the back of her mind ,since I lost my sister to leukemia back in 1967.
She didn`t want to think about that`s what this was.

This happened 5 years ago on april 26. My daughter is in remission and the top of her class.And just think of all she has gone thru and to be the top of her class.

1 comment:

  1. What you all have been through..I think is one of every parents worst nightmares..to watch your child fight against a terrible disease. I am so very happy your daughter has triumphed over the disease! What a fighter she must be...and top of her class!

    ReplyDelete